Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Mom



I took a year off from writing this blog.

I lost interest. It’s not important.

Most of you who know me, know my Mom passed away on May 1st of this year.
Other than the birth of my kids, it’s the most significant event of my life.

I can’t write about her here. She’s above that. I can’t tell you in words how great she was. We abuse words like”love”. I don’t “love” chocolate ice cream anymore. But I do love some people. I tell them (sometimes for the first time). They already knew but it still freaks them out to hear it out loud. I think that’s funny.

I am not bitter or depressed. Sometimes I am sad and I miss her and I don’t think that will ever change. I still work and I still laugh. It’s only now at random times, I can be stopped still in my tracks when I think about her. And for those few minutes nothing seems important.

Mother, at the end, told her friends she loved them. More so, or with more meaning, than she did before she was sick. That was important. She would want me to share that.

I can’t go into all the things my sister, father and I went though.

I won’t go into what insights we got and how it has affected us all.

Someday, I might be able to find a way to write it all down but that book would be many chapters. I am not in the frame of mind to do that even now.

My mom’s sickness was hardest on her but hard on us all. Now the sickness is over, and we are thankful for that. Her memories will always be mine. She is still very much alive.

Anyway, the point of the blog is brain candy. Fun stuff, provoking ideas, the view of the world from middle aged ER doc. I am ready to do that now. Life continues. And for those of you (the 3 of you) who occasionally read this, I’ll try to put in a little more writing time.

P.S. If your mom is still alive, call her. I sure wish I could call mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don,
I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I am impressed that she was such a positive influence on your life that she could teach you lessons about how to live life through her end of life process.
Beth